Thai-Inspired Turkey Mini-Meatball Lettuce Wraps
I love these Thai-Inspired Turkey Mini-Meatball Lettuce Wraps with spicy Thai Flavors!And these delicious Thai Turkey Lettuce Wraps are low-carb,亚博娱乐Keto,low-glycemic,gluten-free (with gluten-free fish sauce and soy sauce),dairy-free,and South Beach Diet Phase One.Use the亚博appto find more recipes like this one.
It was pure serendipity that I discovered this recipe for ultra flavorful little turkey meatballs,served inside lettuce leaves with a spicy Thai-style sauce,some diced cucumber,and fresh mint.I didn't have anything likeThai-Inspired Turkey Mini-Meatball Lettuce Wrapsin mind when I thawed out a pound of ground turkey;I was actually thinking about using it in theHorseradish Meatloaf,before I changed my mind.
So there I was with a pound of turkey that needed to be used,and when I need recipe ideas in a hurry,I often stand in front of my wall of cookbooks and just flip through books,using the index to see what recipes I can find for that ingredient.I found the inspiration for Thai Turkey Lettuce Wraps inThe South Beach Diet Taste of Summer Cookbook,but this is a recipe I'd enjoy all year,maybe substituting cilantro for the mint when it's out of season.
I use ground turkey that's only 10% fat,but use ground beef or chicken if you prefer.Stir together the minced garlic,grated fresh ginger root,sesame oil,rice vinegar,and soy sauce that you'll be adding to the turkey.(I mixed this all together to be sure that flavors were well-blended.) Add that mixture into the meat,then stir a few times to get the seasoning mixture distributed throughout the meat.(The meat mixture is really soft in this recipe,and if you have lots of time I would chill the turkey at this point before making the meatballs.) I used a metal 1 T measuring spoon to make small meatballs,which turned out to make exactly 24 small meatballs like the recipe said.I heated a couple of teaspoons of peanut oil before I started frying the meatballs.Fry 12 meatballs at a time,or as many as you can fit without crowding them in the pan. As I said,the meatballs were really soft,and next time I might make little meat patties instead or even just brown the meat,but even though a few meatballs fell apart,they tasted fantastic.
One of the main changes I made to the recipe was to increase the amount of the spicy dressing made of fish sauce,rice vinegar,sesame oil,and hot pepper flakes.I must have been feeling lazy,because I just stirred this together with the measuring spoon!(If you're not that familiar with fish sauce,you might want to decrease it a bit.I love Thai food and used theThree Crabs Fish SauceI got from my step-sister Karyn after I learned about it fromLydia.)
While meatballs are frying,pull mint leaves off the stem,wash,and spin dry (or use chopped cilantro if you prefer) and cut the cucumber into matchstick pieces (or just chop the cucumber if you don't want to be that fancy.) I arranged the cucumber,dressing,and mint on a plate so it was ready to garnish the lettuce wraps.I love butter lettuce which the recipe called for,but I had romaine hearts in the fridge,so I just used the sweet inner pieces of romaine to wrap the meatballs.Put 2 or 3 meatballs inside a lettuce leaf,spoon some dressing over,and garnish with chopped cucumber and mint leaves (or chopped cilantro.)
The Thai Turkey Lettuce Wraps were seriously yummy,and a nice alternative to a salad!
Make it a Meal:It's definitely a mix of cuisines,but I think this would taste great withSpicy Mexican Slawfor for a low-carb meal.
More Lettuce Wraps to Try:
Delicious Low-Carb and 亚博娱乐Keto Wraps with Lettuce,Collards,and Cabbage~ 亚博娱乐Kalyn's Kitchen
The BEST Slow Cooker Lettuce Wraps with Beef,Chicken,Pork,or Turkey~ Slow Cooker or Pressure Cooker
Asian Lettuce Cups (or wraps) with Spicy Ground Turkey Filling~ 亚博娱乐Kalyn's Kitchen
The BEST Instant Pot Lettuce Wraps~ Slow Cooker or Pressure Cooker
Asian Lettuce Cups with Ground Turkey and Green Apple~ Steamy Kitchen
Turkey Lettuce Wrap Tacos with Chiles,Cumin,Cilantro,Lime,and Tomato-Avocado Salsa~ 亚博娱乐Kalyn's Kitchen
Thai-Inspired Turkey Mini-Meatball Lettuce Wraps
These Thai-Inspired Turkey Mini-Meatball Lettuce Wraps with spicy Thai Flavors are amazing!
- 4 T fish sauce (I likeThree Crabs Fish Sauce,if you're not that used to fish sauce you might decrease it a little)
- 4 T rice vinegar (don't use seasoned vinegar,which contains sugar)
- 2 tsp.Asian sesame oil
- 1/2茶匙。red pepper flakes (more or less to taste,this was moderately spicy with this amount)
- 1 lb.ground turkey (Use turkey with not more than 10% fat for South Beach Diet;this can also be made with ground beef or ground chicken if you prefer.)
- 1 tsp.finely minced garlic
- 1 T grated fresh ginger root
- 1 T Asian sesame oil
- 2 tsp.rice vinegar
- 1 tsp.soy sauce (regular or low sodium)
- 2 tsp.+ 1 tsp.peanut oil or grapeseed oil (for frying meatballs)
Lettuce and Garnish Ingredients:
- 1 small cucumber,cut in thin slices,then sliced into matchstick pieces
- 3/4 cup mint leaves (or use chopped cilantro if you prefer or when fresh mint isn't available)
- 8-12 lettuce leaves (I used romaine lettuce,but you could use other types,especially butter lettuce)
- Mix together the fish sauce,rice vinegar,sesame oil,and red pepper flakes and let the dressing flavors blend while you make and cook the meatballs.
- Chop garlic and grate fresh ginger root,then add sesame oil,rice vinegar,and soy sauce.
- Put ground turkey in a bowl,then use a large spoon to mix in the seasoning mixture.
- The meat mixture is very soft.If you're not rushed for time I would chill the turkey mixture for 20-30 minutes before making the meatballs,or just make small patties instead of meatballs.
- Heat 2 tsp.peanut or grapeseed oil in a large heavy frying pan,then use a tablespoon-sized measuring cup to scoop out turkey to make meatballs (or small patties),adding each one to the hot pan as you make them.
- Cook the meatballs in two batches so you don't crowd the pan,cooking each batch until the outside is lightly browned and they're cooked through,about 5-7 minutes.(I added the other tsp.of oil when I cooked the second batch.)
- While meatballs cook,wash and dry mint leaves (or chop cilantro) and cut the cucumber into thin slices,then slice into matchstick pieces.(You can also just chop the cucumber if you don't want to be that fancy.)
- Wash and dry lettuce leaves.(I used just the tender sweet inside leaves and saved the rest for salad.)
- When meatballs are done,make Thai Turkey Lettuce Wraps by putting 2-3 meatballs inside a piece of lettuce,drizzling on sauce,and topping with cucumber and mint or cilantro.
- If you make this for a dinner party,it would be fun to let guests assemble their own,and I'm betting you won't have any leftovers!
This recipe adapted slightly fromThe South Beach Diet Taste of Summer Cookbook.All images and text ©
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
This recipe for Thai-Inspired Turkey Mini-Meatball Lettuce Wraps is suitable for any kind of low-carb or low-glycemic diet plan.Made with low-fat ground turkey,this would also be approved for any phase of the South Beach Diet,and it's a great alternative to salads for phase one.For some low-carb plans you may prefer ground beef instead of turkey for higher fat.
If you want nutritional information for a recipe,you can sign up for a free membership withYummlyand use the Yum button on my site to save the recipe and see the nutritional information.Another option is entering the recipe intothis Recipe Nutrition Analyzer,which will calculate it for you.