Meat,Tomato,and Mozzarella Stuffed Zucchini Cups
Meat,Tomato,and Mozzarella Stuffed Zucchini Cupsuse giant zucchini slices hollowed out to make cups and filled with a meat,tomato,and mozzarella mixture;so yummy!And this recipe is low-carb,亚博娱乐Keto,low-glycemic,gluten-free and South Beach Diet friendly.Use the亚博appto find more recipes like this one.
It's monster zucchini season,the time of year when people who have gardens are likely to go out and discover a giant zucchini has suddenly sprung up overnight.I have a collection ofTen Low-Carb Recipes to make with Oversize Zucchinion this site,but today I want to remind you of these favoriteMeat,Tomato,and Mozzarella Stuffed Zucchini Cupsthat I've made so many times when I had monster zucchini that I needed to use.This recipe uses cups created from slices of overly-large zucchini,and I think this is such a great idea when you don't want to make zucchini bread and the zucchini you have on hand are too large for your usual favorite zucchini recipes!
Despite the rather messy plating job in these photos,I love everything about this way of making stuffed zucchini by slicing an overly-large zucchini into two-inch slices,then hollowing out the slices to make zucchini cups.I'm a fan of round 8-ball squash forStuffed Zucchini,but those can be hard to find,and these zucchini cups give a similar result.Don't you think hollowing out a zucchini cup like this and filling it with meat and cheese sounds like a delicious way to use late-summer zucchini?And this recipe for stuffed zucchini doesn't have any rice or other grains,so it's perfect
Start by cooking onion,green pepper,and garlic for a few minutes in a bit of olive oil.Then remove the veggies,add a bit more olive oil,and cook the meat until it's browned.Stir the green pepper,onion,and garlic back into the meat once it's done.Then mix in about 2 cups of flavorful tomato sauce and let it simmer until all the liquid has cooked off.I used somehomemade Marinara SauceI had in the freezer,but any sauce with good flavor will work,even sauce from a jar if it's low in sugar.Once the liquid has cooked off,turn off the heat.
Cut a large zucchini into slices about 2 inches thick.Be careful to make flat sides when you cut.This zucchini was not quite three inches across at the widest part.I decided I didn't have quite enough zucchini for the amount of sauce,so I also used a yellow squash that had gotten a bit too large.I used a melon baller to hollow out the squash,which worked perfectly.Be careful not to make the bottom too thin,or the liquid will run out!
By now the meat has cooled slightly,so mix in about 1 1/2 cups of Mozzarella or other mild cheese.(Use low-fat or full-fat mozzarella,your choice.) I like the zucchini to still have a tiny bit of crispness,so I stuffed the zucchini raw.Pack it in,heaping it up a bit over the top.Bake zucchini like this for 20 minutes at 350F/175C.
After the zucchini cups have baked for 20 minutes,use the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese to sprinkle over the top of each,and bake about 25 minutes more.(You'll get some on the baking sheet,so be sure you've sprayed it with non-stick spray!) I forgot to take a photo of the nicely browned tops when they came out of the oven,but these were delicious.
Serve hot.This makes quite a bit but extras can be stored in the fridge and reheated during the week!
More Zucchini You Might Like:
The BEST Slow Cooker Zucchini Recipesfrom Slow Cooker or Pressure Cooker
Eight Ball Stuffed Zucchinifrom A Veggie Venture
The Top Ten Most Popular Low-Carb Zucchini Recipes on 亚博娱乐Kalyn's Kitchen
Stuffed Zucchinifrom Kayotic Kitchen
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a new category calledWeekend Food Prepto help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
Meat,Tomato,and Mozzarella Stuffed Zucchini Cups
This recipe uses giant zucchini slices hollowed out to make cups filled with a meat,tomato,and mozzarella mixture.
- 2 large zucchini or yellow squash,about 12 inches long
- 2 tsp.+ 2 tsp.olive oil (or more,depending on your pan)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 green pepper,finely chopped
- 2 T finely minced fresh garlic
- 1 lb.ground beef
- 12 oz.ground turkey,turkey Italian sausage,or pork Italian sausage.Use any combination of ground meat you'd like,but use low-fat ground meat for the South Beach Diet and full-fat for low-carb or 亚博娱乐Keto.
- 1-2 tsp. Spike seasoning (optional but recommended)
- 2 C flavorful tomato-basil pasta sauce (with low sugar)
- 2 cups mozzarella or other mild white cheese (I used a blend of six cheeses called Italian blend.)
- Preheat oven to 350F/175C.
- Chop onion and green pepper.
- Heat 2 tsp.olive oil in a non-stick pan,then saute onion and pepper for 3-4 minutes,until just starting to soften.
- Add minced garlic and saute about 1 minute more,being careful not to brown the garlic.
- Remove the onion,pepper,and garlic mixture to a bowl.
- Add 2 tsp.more olive oil to the pan.
- Crumble in the ground beef and ground turkey (or ground sausage),season withSpike seasoningand cook over medium heat until the meat is well browned.
- Tilt pan to see if there is any extra fat,and remove with a spoon if there desired,then stir cooked vegetables and garlic back into the meat.
- Add tomato sauce and simmer until the mixture has thickened and liquid has cooked off,about 10 minutes,then turn off heat.
- While meat cools,cut zucchini into 2 inch thick slices,discarding ends.
- Use a sharp spoon or melon baller to hollow out a cup in each zucchini slice,leaving just over 1/4 inch of zucchini flesh.Be careful not to get too close to the skin or the cups will leak liquid when they cook.
- Spray baking sheet with nonstick spray and stand up zucchini cups,open end up.
- Stir 1 1/2 cups grated cheese into the cooled meat mixture (it doesn't need to be completely cool),then spoon the meat-cheese mixture into zucchini cups,pressing down with the spoon and mounding it up a little over the top of the zucchini.
- Bake zucchini cups for 20 minutes,then remove from oven and use remaining cheese to top each one with a generous pinch of cheese.
- Put back in oven and bake 10-15 minutes more,until zucchini is slightly soft when pierced with a fork and cheese is melted and lightly browned.
- Serve hot.
This recipe created by Kalyn when she found some giant zucchini in her garden!
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Made with low-fat ground beef,low-fat ground turkey Italian Sausage,and low-fat cheese, Meat,Tomato,and Mozzarella Stuffed Zucchini Cups are a great dish for any phase of the South Beach Diet.You could also eat it for most other types of low-carb eating plans,and other plans will recommend higher-fat meat or cheese.Be sure to use a tomato sauce that's low in sugar for this recipe,and for strict 亚博娱乐Keto you may wish to use less tomato sauce.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the亚博appphoto index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan.You might also like toFollow 亚博娱乐Kalyn's Kitchen on Pinterestto see all the good recipes I'm sharing there.
If you want nutritional information for a recipe,I recommend entering the recipe intoCalorie Count,which will calculate it for you.Or if you're a member ofYummly,you can use the Yum button on my site to save the recipe and see the nutritional information there.