Low-Carb Vegetarian Chile Rellenos Bake
This Low-Carb Vegetarian Chili Rellenos Bake is a healthier and easier-to-make version of Chile Rellenos.This is just as delicious as the chile rellenos you get in a restaurant and this easy version is also 亚博娱乐Keto,low-glycemic,meatless,gluten-free,and South Beach Diet friendly. Use the亚博appto find more recipes like this one.
This recipe forLow-Carb VegetarianChile Rellenos Bakeis a healthier and easier-to-make version ofChile Rellenos,a well-known Mexican dish of stuffed,battered and deep-fried green chiles filled with cheese.The recipe came from my former neighbor Brooke,who shared it with me after I tasted her version ata neighborhood block party.I changed the recipe slightly to make it a bit more carb-conscious and South Beach Diet friendly,but essentially this idea of layered green chiles and cheese held together with a little egg came from Brooke's recipe,so thanks Brooke!
I've enjoyed this Low-Carb Chile Rellenos Bake many times for a breakfast dish,but you can also cut it into small squares and serve with toothpicks for a holiday appetizer.And this is so perfect to make on the weekend and eat for breakfast for a few days during the week;enjoy!
You can find lots more meatless recipe ideas in theRecipes-by-Photo Index for Meatless Monday,or find them by checkingVegetarian Recipesin the recipe index. I also have a very activeMeatless Monday Pinterest boardwith ideas from blogging friends.
You'll need a big can of whole greenAnaheim chileslike this one to make this recipe,and I'm sorry if this ingredient is hard to find in some places.In Utah I can find them at most every grocery store,and also in Mexican markets.You canbuy whole green chiles at Amazon.com,although I'm sure they're more expensive that way. Of course you canroast your own green chilesfor the dish as well,and you could probably make a slightly different version of this using other types of roasted peppers.
Drain the chiles well then split them open and remove any seeds. Lay chiles on paper towels and blot dry. I like to stack them up in two piles so I can make the layers even. Make half of the chiles into a layer in a casserole dish that's about 9″x13″ or close to that size.
Top the green chiles with a generous amount of cheese and sprinkle on green onions if you're using them,then make a second layer of chiles and cheese. Then beat eggs,mix in the milk and spices,whisk together,在顶部,倒入蛋清混合物。
Bake about 40 minutes (covered with foil for the first 15 minutes),or until the mixture is set and the top is lightly browned.
More Recipes with Delicious Roasted Green Chiles:
Vegetarian Green Chile and Pinto Bean Layered Mexican Casserole~ 亚博娱乐Kalyn's Kitchen
Creamy Green Chile Soup~ Lauren's Latest
Green Chile and Cheese Egg Muffins~ 亚博娱乐Kalyn's Kitchen
Vegetarian Chili with Fresh Roasted Chiles~ White on Rice Couple
Bobbi's Low-Carb Breakfast Casserole with Eggs,Cheese,and Green Chiles~ 亚博娱乐Kalyn's Kitchen
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a new category calledWeekend Food Prepto help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
Low-Carb Vegetarian Chile Rellenos Bake
This easy version of Chile Rellenos is just as delicious as the chile rellenos you get in a restaurant.
- 1 26 oz.can roasted and peeled green chiles (or use about 24 roasted and peeled green chiles.)
- 4 cups grated cheese (I used 4-Cheese Mexican blend from Costco,which is a blend of Monterey Jack,medium cheddar,Queso Quesadilla,and Asadero cheese)
- 1/2 cup very thinly sliced green onions (optional)
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk or half and half or cream
- 1/2 tsp.ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp.chile powder
- Put green chiles in a colander placed in the sink and let drain for about 15 minutes.
- While chiles drain,preheat oven to 375F/190C.
- Spray glass or crockery casserole dish with non-stick spray or olive oil.(I used a 9″ X 13″ dish,but anything close to that size will work.)
- When chiles are drained,use your thumb to split open each chile,scrape out any lingering seeds,and spread chiles out on a paper towel to drain more,pressing down with another towel to get them as dry as you can. (I like to make 2 piles after I do this to get the layers even.)
- Make a flat layer of chiles covering the bottom of the dish.(I alternated every other chile facing the opposite way because they're slightly v-shaped.)
- Top the layer of chiles with half the grated cheese,then sprinkle on green onions (if using).
- Make another layer of flattened chiles,followed by the rest of the cheese.
- Put eggs into a bowl and beat well,then add milk,ground cumin,and chile powder,and stir until well combined.
- Pour egg-milk mixture over chiles and cheese,taking care to get it evenly distributed.(The egg-milk mixture will not completely cover the casserole.)
- Cover dish with foil for the first 15 minutes of baking time,then remove foil and bake until mixture is bubbling and cheese on top is lightly browned,about 40 minutes total baking time.
- You can cook it without the foil,but watch it carefully or the top will get too brown. Cooking time without foil will be slightly less.
- Serve hot,with sour cream and salsa if desired.
- This will keep in the fridge for a few days,but you probably won't have any leftovers.
This recipe from Brooke with slight adaptations by Kalyn.All images and text ©
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
This Low-Carb Vegetarian Chile Rellenos Bake is good for any phase of the South Beach Diet or any type of low-carb eating plan.South Beach would recommend low-fat dairy products while other low-carb eating plans would use full-fat dairy.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the亚博appto find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan.You might also like toFollow 亚博娱乐Kalyn's Kitchen on Pinterestto see all the good recipes I'm sharing there.
If you want nutritional information for a recipe,I recommend entering the recipe intothis nutrition analyzer,which will calculate it for you.Or if you're a member ofYummly,you can use the Yum button on my site to save the recipe and see the nutritional information there.